Comp Rules & Past Results Below
The Boulder Shack Mega Series was devised over many tea breaks here at the Shack and has a large focus on fun and inclusivity. Running over 12 months, the Series allows for novice climbers and experienced crushers alike to compete together on 25 brand new routes each night. There is a competition held every two months, with a raffle at the end of each evening included in the competition entry fee of £2 (in addition to standard entry)
Please note that climbing on competition routes can only start at 6pm for all preliminary rounds.
You may arrive earlier however to view the routes.
The Boulder Shack Mega Series started in May 2017 with the intention of being a long running competition to allow for personal climbing progression and improvement (and to give us a chance to actually figure out the logistics of how to run a climbing competition – the true “Boulder Shack Way”). Climbers of all abilities can compete and each event is scored individually. Once you enter the competition, you automatically enter that evenings raffle too, with a wide variety of prizes on offer from tea and cake to signed shirts from pro-climbers!
Competitions run every other month and after 5 preliminary competitions there is the Grand Final Event; a fun filled day of live music, a raffle and ultimately the Boulder Shack Mega Series Final Comp to declare our series winners! If you are interested in competing in the final, you must have competed in at least three of the preliminary comps, and those with the highest combined three scores will be selected for the final!
Each category is split by gender and age
Fair & Simple Format / Rules
Each category is split by gender and age as follows;
- Under 12’s (mixed gender)
- 13-16 Female.
- 13 – 16 Male.
- 17+ Female.
- 17+ Male.
- Comp will be a flash style comp. You are allowed four attempts at a problem. An attempt counts when you touch a competition hold with your feet off the floor. A route completed on its 1st attempt is worth 10 points, 2nd is 7 points, 3rd is 4 points, 4th is 1 point. Any further attempts are worth no points.
- This will be a self-scoring comp based on honesty. Please mark your score on the form which is purchased from reception, then get a second person to confirm your score.
- Start on marked holds, one hand per pink tag. Feet must be off the floor before your hands move.
- Finish holds will also be marked with pink tags. You must touch/hold the finish hold with both hands in control.
- Brushing is allowed however climbing on comp holds to test and feel is not permitted.
- Climbing on comp climbs may start at 6:00pm. Score cards must be handed in at reception by 9:05pm
- Please total up your score and get a friend to double check it.
- Meet in the café for raffle draw and medal presentations at 9:30pm.
Age categories for finals are the same as the preliminary rounds.
- This will be based on your age as of the 28th February 2019.
- If you wish to be entered into the older age category (i.e.. You are 16 and wish to compete in the 17+ age category), please inform reception.
- Finals will be held on Saturday the 14th of December 2019.
- To qualify for the finals you must have entered at least 3 competitions.
Grand Final Rules and Format:
- The 6 highest scoring competitors from each age category from the preliminary rounds will be invited to compete in the final.
- All competitors will try one route before moving onto the next route.
- Only 1 climber will be on the matts to try the route.
- Each climber will have 4 minutes to complete the route.
- The person with the lowest number of attempts to finish a route will be the winner, followed by second and third.
- If there is a tie, judges will use “count back” to see how many attempts each competitor took to reach the “bonus hold” on each route.
- The younger age categories will compete first, leading up to finish with the adults climbing together.
Information Specific to the Upcoming Competition
Date: Thursday 28th February
Location: Boulder Shack Climbing Gym
Address: Unit 4 Imperial Park, Empress Road, Southampton, SO14 0JW
Parking: There is some dedicated parking directly outside Boulder Shack. If this is all in use then you will need to park on the road outside the estate. You MUST ensure the road though the estate is not obstructed as this is in 24/7 use.
Climbing Type: Bouldering
All entrants, both junior and adults must be registered Boulder Shack climbers. Depending on your experience you may be able to register for free on the evening of a competition. Please read our information on how to register at Boulder Shack Climbing Gym here.