Something we pride ourselves on at Boulder Shack is top-level climbing coaching. Not only do we deliver this, but we help facilitate the coaches of tomorrow to learn and develop their skills. We’re really psyched to announce 2 courses that will be held at Boulder Shack in September 2018.
Both courses will be delivered by the awesome Paul Smith of ‘Rock and Water Adventures’ and are aimed at instructors who want to develop their coaching abilities.
Foundation Climbing Coach (Training) – 17th September 2018.
The aim of the Foundation Coach Scheme is to give individuals the skills to effectively coach the fundamental movement skills of climbing, generally concerning the delivery of single sessions, and also working with a Development Coach on the delivery of more long-term climbing progression.
The course costs £85, with the addition of registering for the award with Mountain Training (£45).
- You must be registered on the scheme.
- You must be at least 16 years old.
- You must have attended a FUNdamentals of Climbing 1 workshop. Many candidates find attendance of FUNdas 2 is also beneficial at this stage.
You can find more information about the Foundation Coach syllabus here.
Development Climbing Coach (Training) – 18th – 19th September 2018.
This stage of the Coaching Scheme focuses on the development of climbers over a series of sessions. Learning how to deliver ‘climber centred coaching’ enabling individuals to critique their own performance.
The course costs £145, with no additional registration fees for those that have already registered for the Foundation Coach Award.
- You must be at least 18 years old with at least 12 months personal climbing experience.
- You must have attended a Foundation Coach training couse (or have your prior learning accredited by Mountain Training UK).
- You must have attended the FUNdamentals of Climbing 1 and 2 workshops. Many people find attendance on the Physical Training for Climbing and the FUNdamentals of Climbing 3 workshops help them get more from the course.
- Be appropriately experienced and qualified to supervise safe sessions in the environment in which you choose to coach. E.g. a site specific sign-off by a Technical Advisor for bouldering; a Climbing Wall Instructor for roped climbing; Climbing Wall Development Instructor for coaching lead climbing and Rock Climbing Instructor to coach on single pitch crags etc.
You can find out more about the Development Coach syllabus here.
For information on how to book these courses please visit: www.mountain-training.org/.